On the eve of my thirtieth birthday, my thoughts wander and I reminisce. Here’s my list of 30 things I’ve learned in my thirty years here on Earth. And here’s praying God is gracious enough to bless me with another thirty!
1. Put God first and the rest falls into place.
2. Family doesn’t always mean blood relatives.
3. There are very few things in life that can’t be fixed with chocolate.
4. Marrying your best friend is, hands down, the best decision you’ll ever make.
5. Learning to laugh at yourself is so much better than the alternative.
6. Be real with people who love you.
7. Guard your heart from all that is ugly in this world.
8. Smile at passersby.
9. A warm bath and a good book are pretty close to heaven.
10. The sound of your baby’s laugh is even closer.
11. Dancing around in the kitchen like a fool should be mandatory in the mornings.
12. Coffee tastes so much better when shared with a friend.
13. Distance will either wreck a weak relationship or strengthen a true one.
14. Don’t ever hang up without saying “I love you.”
15. Snuggle all the little people in your life as often as they’ll allow. They grow up too quickly.
16. God’s forgiveness in the sacrament of reconciliation is one of the most beautiful gifts we have here on earth.
17. Our parents are real people with struggles and successes of their own.
18. Proofreading is much more fun done on paper with a green pen.
19. When you move to a new state, get your library card first, then worry about your driver’s license and all that other stuff later.
20. Your siblings are the ones who will live your life with you – from beginning to end. Be nice to them.
21. Cultivate a spirit of thankfulness in your heart.
22. Choose joy.
23. Snow tickles your nose as it falls.
24. Hearts do break, but the Lord heals us in His good time.
25. Getting connected to a community of like-minded women is vital for your sanity.
26. Record all the moments – both big and small.
27. But know when to put the camera down and just live in the moment.
28. Listen more and talk less.
29. Love your family ferociously.
30. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.